Hand Surgeon in Richardson, TX
Meet Dr. Denton Watumull
Dr. Denton Watumull is a board-certified plastic and hand surgeon with extensive training and experience.
Dr. Watumull has been chosen fourteen times as one of the best doctors in Dallas and Collin County by D Magazine. For eleven years, Texas Monthly magazine has voted him one of the best surgeons in Texas. For five consecutive years, 2014 through 2019, Top10MD.com has chosen Dr. Watumull (after an extensive credentialing process) as one of the “Top 10 Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeons in Dallas” for excellence in patient satisfaction and experience.
Dr. Denton Watumull earned his medical degree in 1982 from the University of Hawaii Medical School and while there was invited to be a member of Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society, which only accepts the top 10 percent of medical students.
Dr. Denton Watumull completed his surgical residency in general and trauma surgery in 1988, his plastic surgery residency in 1990, and completed a one year fellowship in hand and microvascular surgery training in 1991 at Parkland Hospital and the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas, Texas.
Dr. Watumull became board certified in general surgery in 1989. He is also board certified in plastic surgery and holds a Certificate of Added Qualification for Hand Surgery. He performs a broad spectrum of surgeries involving the hand, wrist, and upper extremity, including surgery for lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow), ulnar nerve decompression (cubital tunnel syndrome), endoscopic carpal tunnel release, reconstruction of traumatic injuries, and many more.
After completing his residency in 1991, Dr. Denton Watumull began practicing in Garland, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, Texas, and has contributed greatly to the Garland community. Dr. Watumull served as Chief of Staff of Garland Community Hospital and as Chairman of the Quality Assurance Committee of Baylor Garland Hospital. Dr. Watumull served as Chairman of Garlands’s ISD’s Health Occupation Scholarship program and started the “Fresh Start” program in Garland, which provides free reconstructive surgery for abused women and children.
Dr. Denton Watumull is an active member of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
- Undergraduate: Claremont McKenna College, Claremont, California
- Medical: University of Hawaii Medical School, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Surgery Residency: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
- Plastic Surgery Residency: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
- Hand and Microsurgery Fellowship: University Of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
- Emmanuel Kaplan award for Hand Anatomy Research: American Society for Surgery of the hand
- D Magazine – selected best plastic surgeons twelve times in Dallas and Collin County 2017 and 2018
- Texas Monthly “Super Doctors” award for Top Plastic surgeons in Texas, eleven consecutive years, 2007-2018
- Top10MD.com – Top 10 Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeons in Dallas, 2014-2019
- 1991 Recipient of TMS’s Robert Cronin Award for Plastic Surgery Research
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Medical Association
- Texas Medical Association
- Fellow American College of Surgeons
- Dallas Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Parkland Surgical Society
- Trauma Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Hand & Microsurgery
- Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow) Surgery
- Ulnar Nerve Decompression (Cubital Tunnel Syndrome)
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release
- Reconstruction of Traumatic Injuries
View Our Hospital Affiliations